Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tom Waits


I'm a wobbly girl. Inside I make the noise of popcorn and bells. I would like to put some glitter in a bindle and set off down a country road next to cornfields on an overcast day. My boots would be quilted inside with pinks and reds. My hair would be long and swept up in a messy way under a bandana.

Along comes a horse-drawn circus. Melancholy clowns with skinny dogs walk next to the carriages. Paint is flaking off the wooden siding. A dancing girl braces herself inside the moving dressing room. She tries to steady the mirrors and steady her drink. It's very hot inside there. Someone plays an accordion. Why is there a theremin? There in lies the theremin. Screaming ladies are released from the lurid box. The makeup is melting. The elephants need water. If they had tears...

The monkey is not so shy. In fact, he's a bit perverted. He's brought me some lemonade. Thank you.

Seeing Tom Waits was amazing. It is an experience that unrolls further daily.

1 comment:

Sarah13 said...

you have a way with words that some people would kill for... or die for.... You are amazing!