Tuesday, April 22, 2008

She's Off Her Head!

Good news! Barrelhouse has named me the winner of their contest for rollerderby writing! The issue comes out in the fall. I'll keep you posted. I've had interviews, reviews and poetry published in the past, but this piece is mostly prose. So it's a new thing for me and I'm encouraged that others like it

In the past few days I've worn zombies on my fingers, confused my boyfriend for a girlfriend, confused faeries for mermaids, and confounded my body with strenuous dance moves. My noggin makes a hollow sound if you knock. Some strange cloud keeps landing on my shoulders and telling me when to get up and go to work and such. It even cleaned the bathroom for me and did the dishes. This cloud is not afraid of some bleach.

I'm loathe to do anything unfun right now. Cary's grandmother died on Friday--she was a most amazing woman. I was in the room when she died. I don't think I feel comfortable writing more about this right now, but this fact may inform my future postings.

Death will snap one back into place right quickly.

That's why I keep shaking my head. Shaking things up inside there till they land in different ways. Boggle pieces? There are more words in there than I can decipher in 3 minutes, but I hope to figure out a few more each day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a place where I can purchase such a cloud?

Anonymous said...

Congrats about your writing! I told you that you're amazing! xoxoxoxoxox